ALL PHD THESES AT AALBORG UNIVERSITY MUST BE SUBMITTED FOR ASSESSMENT THROUGH THE VBN PORTAL
- Templates are provided in Word, LaTex and InDesign format and can be downloaded here: https://www.en.team.vbn.aau.dk/phd-submission/layout-formatting/requirements-for-format/
- It is not mandatory to use these templates - it is however required that you follow the minimum demands found in the link above. Contact your Department secretary before deciding on whether or not to use the template.
- When writing your thesis as a collection of papers, the Doctoral School recommends that your kappa does not exceed 40-60 pages.
- Allthough it is allowed to incorporate findings from your papers in the kappa, this should be kept at a minimum. When doing so, it is required that you apply references towards your own material.
IT IS REQUIRED THAT YOU UPLOAD TWO DOCUMENTS:
- A thesis containing all papers - this will be sent for assessment
- A document without papers for publication on VBN (no publication can also be selected when submitting)
REQUIREMENTS FROM THE DOCTORAL SCHOOL
Before uploading/submitting your thesis the following elements must be in order:
- Assessment committee: Your assessment committee must be established and approved. You will receive information from the Doctoral School once this matter is handled. It is your supervisor and Department that arranges this.
- Co-author statements: If your thesis is a collection of papers you must have submitted co-author statements for all included articles to the Doctoral School. Once these are approved by the PhD Study Director you are informed by the Doctoral School.
- Your supervisor must have submitted a supervisor statement to the Doctoral School. Once this is approved by the PhD study director you are informed by the Doctoral School.
- You must have submitted a declaration concerning good scientific practice to the Doctoral School.
- Your thesis must undergo a referencecheck 3-4 weeks prior to submission - read more here
THESIS THAT ARE UPLOADED WITHOUT HAVING THE ELEMENTS ABOVE IN ORDER WILL BE REJECTED AND A NEW SUBMISSION MUST BE MADE.
Once you have uploaded your thesis it is considered as being submitted. It is therefore crucial all references and so on are entered correctly. You are not able to edit the thesis in any way or form once it is submitted.
Copy-pasting materials from your own articles without applying proper references is considered as questionable research practice and is not in accordance with the guidelines of Faculty of Medicine, AAU.
The automatic scan for plagiarism will detect the text similitude and the Doctoral School will forward the thesis to the AAU committee for good scientific practice. This will lead to a significant delay in relation to the defense.
Moreover, the thesis will have to be revised if the practice committee finds that you violated the rules. Therefore, it is important to remember that the kappa must be written as an independent publication and cannot consist of material that is copy-pasted from published material or your own (unpublished) papers.
The Doctoral School has developed a set of good advice in relation to good scientific practice - please read them carefully before submitting.