As a requirement from Ministerial Order on the PhD Programme at the Universities and Certain Higher Artistic Educational Institutions (PhD Order) that you during your PhD study accumulates 30 ECTS from PhD courses and similar activites.
The 30 ECTS must be distributed as follows:
- 10 ECTS to general PhD courses
- 10 ECTS to project specific courses
- 10 to be distributed as the PhD student wishes
A total of 6 ECTS can be gained from conferences and the like.
ECTS from conferences and the like only needs approval from your supervisors if it counts as part of the 6 ECTS that you can usually use for this purpose. If you want conference participation to count as “regular-ECTS” you need your head of programs approval.
where to find your PhD courses
- PhD Moodle - all PhD courses at Aalborg University
- www.phdcourses.dk - all PhD courses in Denmark (usually free of charge for PhD students)
- https://www.nordochealth.net/courses - PhD courses in scandinavia (usually free of charge for PhD students)
It is possible to find courses elsewhere but if they are not listed as PhD courses they may require approval from your supervisor or the head of program.
Should it be the case that a PhD student is unable to find a course on a specific topic - it is possible to create a study circle regarding the topic at hand. The study circle must be organized by a PhD supervisor (Associate Professor as a minimum). The material included in the study circle must be at a PhD level. If a master course is deemed to be highly relevant for a PhD study, a study circle revolving around the master course can be created. However, material must be addeded so that it is raised to a PhD level.
Prior to commencing a study circle, the head of the corresponding PhD programme must approve it.
ECTS allocated to the study circle (28 hours of workload PR ECTS) cannot exceed 3 ECTS and will be regarded as part of the 6 ECTS that can be obatined from conferences and the like.
- It is your head of program that approves courses that are not PhD couses, study circles and ECTS from conferences that are not part of the 6 ECTS you can gain from conferences.
- Questions regarding courses - contact Sofie Pia Jensen at AAU PhD